LJI20 Week 1: Open Topic
Sep. 21st, 2026 07:35 pmI can't tell you when the words that haunt me were spoken, because I wasn't in the room to hear them.
I can only tell you where I was when they were spoken to me.
I can also tell you that I was sixteen, and you will soon understand why that detail is what I remember.
*****
Dad and I were driving back after dropping Stacey at her place. It must have been a Thursday, because that was the day we worked on the school newspaper. (Keep in mind, though, that we had a high school of 75 students, and three of us juniors had somehow conjured up a journalism elective out of thin air, so the word "newspaper" is doing some heavy lifting there.)
We were climbing the hill in the beat-up Ford LTD in which I would eventually learn to drive, talking about the things fathers and teenage sons talk about when the relationship is right. Which, at the time, it was.
And then Dad mentioned something to me that had been said a couple of weeks prior, and I remember and resent those words to this day.
Before I tell you what was said, you should know about the man who said it.
*****
Pastor Donald Sheley was a warm, loving man of God. In an alternate universe somewhere, he could've been a leather-helmet linebacker in the early days of the NFL. Instead, he founded Church of the Highlands in 1959 and grew it into a community of the kind of Christians we all want every Christian to be.
Though his voice thundered from the pulpit every Sunday for nearly fifty years, preaching the need for everyone to come back to the cross, he never let the doctrine of the church slip into the prosperity-gospel nonsense that has infected a large segment of American Evangelicalism today. He eventually passed the running of the church to his three sons, and when I tell you they all take after their father, I mean it as a compliment.
I haven't been back to Highlands since Pastor Don's death in 2016, but from what I understand they have survived the pandemic and come out the other side as a place Jesus would be proud of.
But for the first part of my life--certainly up until I was sixteen--the former shopping mall atop a windy, fog-bound hill was my second home, the village that raised me. And when Pastor Don spoke, you listened.
And when he said something that sounded like a prophecy, you did your darnedest to fulfill it.
*****
So when your father tells sixteen-year-old you that he was talking with Pastor Don recently, and about what the future might hold...
...and when the words you hear next--Pastor Don's words--are "Mark my words; in fifteen years, the world will know who that boy is."...
...and you look back on those words twenty-seven years later, nowhere close to having fulfilled the prophecy of one of the few Christians you still respect in this world...
...and you realize you are, in some ways, okay with it, because fame isn't something you would wish on anyone...
...but you also feel the weight of untapped potential and unmet expectations crushing your psyche...
...it's fair to wonder whether it's possible for any prophecy--even a benevolent one--to ever be a blessing.
I can only tell you where I was when they were spoken to me.
I can also tell you that I was sixteen, and you will soon understand why that detail is what I remember.
*****
Dad and I were driving back after dropping Stacey at her place. It must have been a Thursday, because that was the day we worked on the school newspaper. (Keep in mind, though, that we had a high school of 75 students, and three of us juniors had somehow conjured up a journalism elective out of thin air, so the word "newspaper" is doing some heavy lifting there.)
We were climbing the hill in the beat-up Ford LTD in which I would eventually learn to drive, talking about the things fathers and teenage sons talk about when the relationship is right. Which, at the time, it was.
And then Dad mentioned something to me that had been said a couple of weeks prior, and I remember and resent those words to this day.
Before I tell you what was said, you should know about the man who said it.
*****
Pastor Donald Sheley was a warm, loving man of God. In an alternate universe somewhere, he could've been a leather-helmet linebacker in the early days of the NFL. Instead, he founded Church of the Highlands in 1959 and grew it into a community of the kind of Christians we all want every Christian to be.
Though his voice thundered from the pulpit every Sunday for nearly fifty years, preaching the need for everyone to come back to the cross, he never let the doctrine of the church slip into the prosperity-gospel nonsense that has infected a large segment of American Evangelicalism today. He eventually passed the running of the church to his three sons, and when I tell you they all take after their father, I mean it as a compliment.
I haven't been back to Highlands since Pastor Don's death in 2016, but from what I understand they have survived the pandemic and come out the other side as a place Jesus would be proud of.
But for the first part of my life--certainly up until I was sixteen--the former shopping mall atop a windy, fog-bound hill was my second home, the village that raised me. And when Pastor Don spoke, you listened.
And when he said something that sounded like a prophecy, you did your darnedest to fulfill it.
*****
So when your father tells sixteen-year-old you that he was talking with Pastor Don recently, and about what the future might hold...
...and when the words you hear next--Pastor Don's words--are "Mark my words; in fifteen years, the world will know who that boy is."...
...and you look back on those words twenty-seven years later, nowhere close to having fulfilled the prophecy of one of the few Christians you still respect in this world...
...and you realize you are, in some ways, okay with it, because fame isn't something you would wish on anyone...
...but you also feel the weight of untapped potential and unmet expectations crushing your psyche...
...it's fair to wonder whether it's possible for any prophecy--even a benevolent one--to ever be a blessing.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 05:13 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:01 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 07:21 am (UTC)I've sure had those feelings before. Not that I haven't accomplished or had success, but it certainly never matched whatever my parents hoped it might be. Or me, even, back when I was young and the possibilities seemed endless.
I loved the line about the "journalism credit" doing a lot of heavy lifting. Hey, those kids made their own opportunity!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:03 pm (UTC)And yes, there's definitely a sense where I'm comparing myself against alternate-universe versions of me, and not liking the results. But I'm trying to break myself of that.
Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 08:33 am (UTC)“but you also feel the weight of untapped potential and unmet expectations crushing your psyche...”
That is something that I’ve lived with my entire life. You captured it well. I’m really happy to see you back, I always enjoy your work.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:10 pm (UTC)But, I would also say that sometimes prophecies are fulfilled, but not in the ways we expect. And I'm sure that as long as you've been a good person and tried to care about others, Pastor Don would still be proud of you -- those things might not make us famous, but they are probably some of the most important things we can accomplish.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:04 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 05:52 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:06 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 07:27 pm (UTC)I think it comes down to how you view YOUR life, and the paths YOU'VE chosen, but that's always easier said than done.
You're a good person, and a talented writer, and if those two things are part of you, then the world DOES know you by deeds and written words. You are important.
This was reflective and so very relatable. <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:12 pm (UTC)Which makes it a tough place, psychologically, when (a) there's genuinely nothing you could have done better; and/or (b) there may not be a "next time".
Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 12:15 am (UTC)Then again, religous men have been wrong, very wrong and even criminally wrong.... so it's not like they have a lock on the future! And yes, I relate to this in more ways than I care to admit, or at least more than I care to state at the moment!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:15 pm (UTC)Could he have pushed my father, and by extension me, in a slightly different direction when it came to finding a college for me to attend? Sure. But I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made.
Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 06:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:15 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 10:33 pm (UTC)♥
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:16 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 02:39 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:19 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 10:38 pm (UTC)My mom was impressed I could play by ear. Which of course meant I had to learn how to read sheet music and practice scales. And if I was just playing around instead of doing my assigned homework, I wasn’t “practicing.” Hard to believe I stopped feeling any motivation to play piano. 🤷♀️
no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 03:19 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 01:52 am (UTC)But, the most important. consideration is, are you content, are you good with who you are, how you live?
I hope so. I hope you are the goodness in you.
Very well told!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:20 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 04:24 pm (UTC)I hope you can see that the world is as big or as small as you need it to be, to make that prophecy feel real.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:20 pm (UTC)...okay, I'll be reflecting on that for a while.
Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 01:53 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 02:25 am (UTC)Very thought-provoking piece, thank you.
Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:22 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 10:38 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 09:23 pm (UTC)Thanks for reading! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 02:13 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 02:23 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 01:30 pm (UTC)